Here are somethings that that you may or may not know about pretzels.
That’s what you call the pretzels when you don’t add salt to them.
Don’t worry they are just as amazing if not more.
Treat for the kids
They were invented by a monk in Europe who used to give them to the kids as treat for their prayers.
The shape is actually represents the arms crossed in prayer.
“Tying the Knot” came from pretzels.
Due to the shape, the phrase “tying the knot” comes out straight from pretzels.
There is a very large pretzel out there
Yes there is a pretzel that is 29 feet, 13 feet wide and weighs about 1,728 pounds.
Think of how delicious it would be!
It’s a favorite
An average US citizen eats about 2 pounds of pretzels a year while people in Pennsylvania eat 12 pounds per year.
Since listening to al about pretzels may have you craving for some, here is how you can bake them at home.
- Active Dry Yeast: 1 package (хлебопекарные дрожжи)
- Brown Sugar: 2
- Salt: 1 1/8 Teaspoon
- Warm Water: 1 ½ Cups
- All-purpose Flour: 3 Cups
- Bread Flour: 1 cup
- Warm Water: 2 Cups
- Baking Soda: 2 Tablespoons
- Melted Butter: 2 Tablespoons
- Coarse Kosher Salt: 2 Tablespoons
- Add the yeast for baking, brown sugar, salt and 1 ½ cups of water in a large mixing bowl.
- Now add in some flour.
- Now take the dough out and turn it on a floured surface. Knead it for about 8 minutes till it’s smooth, soft and elastic.
- Now place it in a greased bowl and cover it up. Leave it aside for about an hour till it is twice its size.
- Take an 8-inch square pan add 2 cups of warm water and baking soda in it.
- Line up 6 parchment lined baking sheets.
- After the dough rises have it cut into 12 pieces.
- Roll them up into 3 foot long ropes and you want them to be as thin as pencils or thinner.
- Now have it twisted into the pretzel shape and then dipped into the baking soda solution.
- Now place them on the backing sheets covered with parchment and leave them to rise for about fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Leave the oven to preheat for 450 degrees F.
- Bake the pretzels until they are golden brown for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Brush them with melted butter and sprinkle the coarse salt over it or garlic salt or cinnamon sugar.
Tip: when you are rolling the strips into ropes, have them about half the length you want them to be.
Keep them aside while you roll the rest of the strips.
By the time you are done with all of them, it will be ready to be rolled further.
Use one baking sheet for at least 2 pretzels.
A 3-foot pretzel rope will make about an 8-inch in diameter of pretzel.